Saturday 27 November 2010

Carl Froch dominates Arthur Abraham

Carl Froch wins WBC title
Carl Froch has won the vacant World Boxing Council Super-Middle Championship after beating Arthur Abraham on points tonight in Finland.  He becomes the first boxer to win the title for the second time. The Cobra dominated the fight right from the bell.  He had a definite game plan, which he stuck to and executed very well. Froch used his superior size and showed the heart of a lion to take the fight over and keep the control from the opening round to the end

Abraham looked down and out towards the end of the fight and the Armenian-German national looked withdrawn and disinterested.  He was effectively broken in round ten as the Nottingham man demonstrated excellent punching ability. Towards the end in the last round Froch got caught by some hard punches but he managed to weather to storm to take the decision on points.

Carl Froch moves on in the Super Six and is a definite favourite against any of the other 168 pounders in the tournament.

Froch speaking after the fight, he told BBC Five Live: "It's not sunk in. I think when I look at it later it will sink in.

"I've come straight out of the ring and I'm thinking to myself, 'I've got this belt, it's shiny, it's catching my eye', but it's still not in there.

"I am so, so proud of myself. I've done this for my son Rocco - he is five months old and he is going to look back on this fight with me.

"It's unbelievable: I've got this title back and I've got my son at home waiting for me and I'm elated."

Froch also admitted that he has to mature as a fighter to succeed at the top level. He explained: "I wanted to move in behind the jab, have a go and put some combos together and get the fight going.

"The old me would have done that. I may have got him out of there but I may have got chinned myself so why take that gamble?

"I listen to Richie Woodhall in the gym, I obviously listen first to (trainer) Rob McCracken and it's all about boxing and moving.

"This isn't fighting, this is boxing. Tonight I showed my amateur pedigree, I showed why I was the first guy to win a medal at the world championships.

"It was my boxing ability, it was my brain. I don't even feel like I've been in a fight and I've picked up the WBC world champion (belt) which is rightfully mine and wrongfully taken off me in the last fight.
Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...