Sunday 19 December 2010

Hopkins Denied Record Win

Bernard Hopkins missed a chance to become the oldest boxer to hold a major world title after his fight with Canadian Jean Pascal on Saturday night was declared a draw.

Hopkins (right, with Pascal) suffered his first two knockdowns in 16 years after Pascal had him on the canvas in the first and third rounds. However, having picked himself up Hopkins regained momentum and put Pascal down on the eleventh round.

Despite throwing more punches than Pascal, Hopkins was unable to lift the WBC and IBO light heavyweight titles from the Canadian.

Hopkins had edged a close contest but The Executioner was shocked when the fight was called a draw.

"I dominated," said Hopkins. "This was a robbery. I took him to school."

Bernard Hopkins will be 46 on January 15 and the American was hoping to become the oldest World Champion, a feat held by George Foreman who at 45 years and 10 months knocked out Michael Moorer in 1994.

"I believe I won the fight," said Pascal. "It wasn't my best fight, but Bernard fights ugly and dirty. He's a tough guy to box.

"I'm the champion, I like to win, not draw. If he wants a rematch, he can have one any time."

On fighting outside the States, Hopkins said; "One reason fighters from the States don't like fighting outside the country is stuff like this. I know I won the fight.

"This was sure enough robbery," he said. "And this one hurts the sport. I come to Canada and face a 28-year-old guy and I get a draw, at 45 years old? You saw a young guy running from an old grandpa!

"The 12th round was vicious. He looked to be tired from the sixth round. He was gasping.

"He held every time I got close. And I just kept coming forward throwing punches. He was holding on for dear life." Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...