Saturday 11 December 2010

Ricky Ponting: I Won't Quit

Ponting Up For The Test
Ricky Ponting has insisted he still has fight left in him and has not contemplated quitting as captain of his nation's team. Nevertheless, he may be just one test defeat away from becoming the first Australian captain in 120 years to lose three Ashes

Ponting turns 36 on December 19.  He is the first to admit that he has not been at the top of his game with the bat lately and his team are struggling, trailing England 1-0 in the five-match series with three tests remaining. An England victory in the next test could see England retain the Ashes in Australia.

"My absolute focus is on all the things within my control, preparing the team and myself to perform at our very best in Perth, Melbourne and then Sydney over the next three tests," Ponting wrote in the Australian newspaper Saturday.

"I have not stopped for one moment to consider retirement. The question of my future as captain is ultimately a decision for Cricket Australia and categorically the future of Australian cricket must come first.

"I have every confidence in my ability to score runs and be the experienced batsman and leader that my teammates can rely on."

"As captain, I am accountable for the performance of my team and I accept that our most recent results mean that I am being assessed more critically than at other times in my career as captain.

"The team is my priority, not my own ego or the status that comes with being the captain of the Australian cricket team."

Ponting on his preparation and batting, added, "We've been ordinary, we've played poorly. I haven't played the way I would like to have played, especially in Adelaide, but I don't think I'm that far away.

"I've got to keep trusting the way I prepare and play and keep working hard. If anything I might have worked a bit too hard on my batting over the last couple of weeks." Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...